Tuesday, May 22, 2007

NOLA JAZZ FEST...Sunday




First on my list to check out today was Germaine Bazzle in the Jazz Tent. I was not sure what she would be like, but I read a brief article on her the night before. She is a professor of music at Loyola, and, after her performance I can tell you that she is one of the few living female masters of "jazz scat". Her style was similar to Ella Fitzgerald... VERY smooth yet complex jazz music with outbursts of vocal scat masterfully woven in. She was playing with another older and respected New Orleans bass player, George French. He was spectacular as well, playing beautifully rich, yet understated bass lines, as well as singing the lead on several songs, and sharing several duets with Germaine. The sax player she had with her is a man I have seen MANY times over the past 8 years of coming to New Orleans... I have seen him sit in with numerous amazing musicians, and he always floors me with his talent, and his ability to be so versatile and fit in so well with so many varied styles of music. I am ashamed to say that I do not know his name.... YET! Germaine Bazzle's performance turned out to be a highlight of my Fest experiences this year!! I went to simply check it out, and wound up staying glued to my seat for her entire performance! I learn so much at Jazz Fest every year, and never leave New Orleans without discovering a new musical favorite..... or two...... or three..... or.......

No comments: