Thursday, June 14, 2007

Tashilunpo hike...Stop to smell the flowers...


There is very little in the way of plant life in Tibet. Every new plant I saw, I had to pause and celebrate! This little shrub with bright red berries is one of only about two different plants I saw on this hike. The other plant was the lower grey-green shrub you can see covering the ground. It was slightly woody, with soft looking leaves. But it was loaded with the most painful thorns I have ever encountered! They burned intensely and tended to break off in your skin. I had several embedded in the palm of my right hand for about three weeks after this hike. I was slipping on the loose gravel on the way down and reached out to steady myself... by grabbing a handful of pain! One day I will learn my lesson about grabbing random plants while I hike..... maybe.

No comments: