Monday, March 24, 2008

Macha Bucha Day... Sunset at the neighborhood temple... Ayuthaya

I was supposed to have gotten on a train this morning, headed for Lopburi. I needed to change money at a bank to pay my bill at the guetshouse. Imagine my frustration after bicycling to every bank in town only to find them all closed with a big sign explaining why... in Thai of course. I guessed it must be a Buddhist Holiday... it seems like there area a few every month, but I don't know the significance or timing... this day was also full moon, which I don't think was a coincidence. The owner of my guesthouse confirmed my suspicions... there was no way to change dollars into baht today,which meant there was no way I was leaving Ayuthaya today. I was a bit frustrated over my sudden change of plans, but decided it was OK... I was enjoying myself here at any rate. The owner,Nop, a very sweet, very tiny elderly Thai woman in her 80's invited me to come to temple with her that night to celebrate this day... Macha Bucha.

No comments: