Thursday, November 08, 2007

Tashilunpo hike...trail up first ridge

Something to keep in mind while viewing the photos from this hike... this was one of the most challenging hikes I have ever undertaken. There was no clear trail, and we basically chose our route by following many connecting sheep trails. The ground for the majority of the hike consisted of tiny round gravel that acted like ball bearings under our feet. Many times I expected to slip and find myself rolling down the mountain to my doom. Also, the mountain was way more steep than it looked from the bottom, and there were no plants to hold onto or catch you if you did fall. The only plant growing anywhere on this hike, besides some very short grass here and there, was a small shrub that looked soft and feathery, but was actually covered with insanely painful spines. The spines would break off into your skin and itch like fire. I have a bad habit, which I've never been able to break, of touching/grabbing plants while I hike. I have been warned and warned, but still it is a habit. The spines I got in my hands because of this continued to burn and itch for over 2 weeks after this hike. And, yes, I am STILL a plant grabber while I hike...

No comments: